Shoulder pain is, unfortunately, one of the most common issues that people experience. Whether it’s an ache, tingling sensation, or sharp pain, living with shoulder pain can cause a major disruption in the quality of life.
In today’s article, we’ll discuss why we experience shoulder pain and some simple home remedies you can apply to deal with your shoulder pain.
What causes shoulder pain
If we take a step back and look at the makeup of your shoulder, we’ll see that your shoulders are connected to your spine and neck. Knowing this, we can determine that if you have a misaligned spine or you recently experienced a neck injury that this can cause a ripple effect in your shoulder.
Some of the most common diagnoses for shoulder pain are:
- Strains or sprains – This can occur from a backward force that overly stretches and tears the region’s ligaments and muscles.
- Tendonitis – Tendonitis happens when one of your tendons is inflamed.
- Bursitis – A painful condition that affects the small, fluid-filled sacs that cushion the bones, tendons, and muscles near your joints.
- Shoulder dislocation – A dislocated shoulder happens when the upper arm bone pops out of the cup-shaped socket that's part of the shoulder blade.
- Rotator cuff injury – This occurs over extensive wear and tear of the tendon.
- Frozen shoulder – Stiffness and pain in the shoulder joint.
Exercises to relieve shoulder pain
Dealing with shoulder pain on a daily basis can be annoying and cause a disruption to the quality of your life. There are several exercises that you can do in your free time to help alleviate the discomfort and pain. The most important part of these exercises is to relax and breathe. Be sure not to overdo it and to go at your own pace to prevent further injury.
- Neck release exercise to gently loosen tension in your shoulders and neck. You can do this by gently lowering your chin towards your chest. Feel the stretch along the back of your neck, hold the position for one minute, and repeat up to five times. Place your hands on your head above your ears and gently tilt your head to your left or right shoulder.
- Across-the-chest stretching helps increase your shoulder joint flexibility and the range of motion. To do this, bring your arm across your chest and place your other arm to your elbow to support your arm and increase tension. Hold the position for a minute and repeat for up to 5 times for each arm side.
- Chest expansion is the same across-the-chest that increases the flexibility and range of motion. To do this, use a band or towel and hold it behind your back using both hands. Broaden your chest by tightening and shortening the band to move your shoulder blades toward each other. Hold the position for up to 30 seconds and repeat up to 5 times.
- Seated twist exercise helps you stretch your neck and shoulders. Keep your hips in place face forward. Twist your upper body to the left side, and bring your right hand to your right thigh. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat it on the other side.
Visit us at ProActive Health today to “Align Your Spine, Realign Your Life!”
Ready to see a chiropractor, whether for the first time or as someone looking to visit a new chiropractic office? Dr. Doug Patterson or Dr. Michael Hummer at ProActive Health is the top choice in the Michiana area! They will help guide you in developing a plan to tackle a routine exercise plan, consuming the right foods, and targeting your goals with chiropractic care.
Dr. Doug Patterson hurt his back in 1993 thus he first sought the care of a Chiropractor. After this experience, he decided he wanted to help people himself by pursuing chiropractic. He is a 1997 graduate of the Life University College of Chiropractic in Marietta, Georgia, and has been in practice for 25+ years. Since then, Dr. Doug has expanded his field of practice to include functional medicine, science-based nutrition, and now certified in Shockwave Therapy. Schedule a visit with Dr. Doug at ProActive Health today!
Dr. Michael Hummer is native to northern Indiana, Michael Hummer grew up very active and found great enjoyment playing football, rugby, and wrestling. Michael earned his undergraduate degree in Dietetics at Ashland University where as a student-athlete he was a member of the varsity wrestling team. After graduation, he went on to become a personal trainer, and through his passion for both fitness and nutrition, he helped people to achieve their own goals and acquire greater health and wellness. At the same time, Michael also enjoyed working with and inspiring the local youth throughout his community through his dedication as a volunteer wrestling coach. Now, student doctor, Hummer is nearing the end of his graduate curriculum and will soon earn his Doctorate of Chiropractic from Logan University. In this new chapter Michael is excited to apply his education and versatile skillset in aiding the community as they strive for greater health and happiness. Dr. Michael is now certified in Shockwave Therapy. Schedule a visitwith Dr. Mike at ProActive Health today!